Chia Plum Jam
So recently I've been experimenting with Chia Puddings. For a while I was never a fan of them because I found them to be too slimey and gelatinous without much flavour, but recently I've been making my own and jazzing them up a bit by adding things such as cacao nibs and crushed nuts. While enjoying my breakfast pudding one day, I got thinking about how the consistency of it reminded me of jam and how I really miss the flavours of jam. Now, I know I could easily go out and buy a jar of jam, but I'm not going to support a product that is full of processed refined sugar and is not going to benefit my health. So, naturally, I decided to take on the challenge and try and make my own! And here we are.. simple 2 ingredient whole food friendly jam!
3 red flesh plums
3 tbsp chia seeds
1. Roughly chop plums to remove seed. Place in a saucepan.
2. On medium heat, stew plums in a dash of water with the saucepan lid on. Stirring regularly to prevent burning.
3. Once cooked and soft, puree plums with a stick blender (be careful not to splatter as the mixture is very hot.
4. Once pureed, add in the 3 tbsp of chia seeds and stir well.
5. Allow to cool and become thick.
6. Store in an air tight container in the fridge. Use within 1 week.
I love adding a spoonful on top of my morning bowl of oatmeal but it's also great spread on wholemeal toast or pancakes, added to smoothies, mixed through hot oatmeal or even in a sandwich with some natural peanut butter for a spin on PB&J! Feel free to use any fruit you have on hand.. it's an easy way to use up fruit that may be getting soft. I have also tried using mixed frozen berries in place of the plums and that also tastes delicious! This is a very healthy recipe full of vitamins and minerals. It contains natural, unprocessed whole fruits and whole chia seeds which are a great source of healthy omega 3 fatty acids, protein, fibre and antioxidants. It can be enjoyed all year round and is super kid friendly!
If you make this recipe remember to take a photo and tag @awholesomeserving on Instagram! I'd love to see your creations!