Zucchini Oats (Zoats!)
My favourite breakfast... with a twist!
Oats are hands down my favourite breakfast. I love experimenting with different flavours and toppings and to be honest, I'm usually awake at night thinking about what combination to make in the morning! Whether you like your oats cooked fresh on the stove, quickly zapped in the microwave or soaked overnight, they're always a winning breakfast!
Oats are high in soluble fibre (1/2 cup rolled oats contains 4.5g) which helps slow the emptying process in our stomachs, leaving us feeling fuller for longer. Soluble fibre also helps to lower cholesterol and stabilise blood glucose levels.
1 cup rolled oats
1 tbsp chia seeds
½ medium zucchini (finely grated)
1 medium banana (half chopped, half sliced - to serve)
1 cup water
½ cup soy milk (or any other plant milk)
Ground flax seeds
1. In a medium saucepan combine the rolled oats, chia seeds, grated zucchini and chopped banana.
2. Add water and soy milk and simmer on a medium heat.
3. Stir the mixture thoroughly and frequently – this will result in a creamy, thick porridge.
4. Once you have reached your desired consistency, transfer to a bowl and serve with your favourite toppings.
– Feel free to experiment with alternative flavours and toppings. Another favourite combination of mine is cooking with oatmeal with grated beetroot – this make the porridge mixture an amazing colour and gives a great flavour. Cinnamon and stewed apple is also very tasty!
– Ground flax seeds also work great cooked through the oatmeal mixture in replace of chia seeds.
– If short on time, this mixture can also be made in the microwave using quick oats for 2 minutes.