The idea behind ‘building your own bowl’ is that it’s a simple way to make a healthy meal using whatever ingredients you have in the fridge. Lots of different cuisines, textures and flavour combinations can be made, and they’re a great way of using up leftovers.
Building your own bowl can be done in 4 easy steps!
1. Fill your bowl with lots of different fresh greens.
· Kale, Spinach, Rocket, Cos Lettuce etc.
2. Add your grains/starch.
· Rice, Quinoa, Buckwheat, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Barley etc.
3. Choose your 'protein'/legume.
· Mexican black beans, Spicy chickpeas, Asian tofu/tempeh, Curried lentils etc.
4. Load up on vegetables!
· Tomato, Corn, Cabbage, Cucumber, Capsicum, Carrot, Peas, Edamame, Dulse etc.
And to finish it all off, add some condiments such as hummus, guacamole or a matching dressing!
Below are some example of my favourite bowls to make for a colourful, delicious and super satisfying lunch or dinner!
Green & purple kale, spinach, red quinoa, cucumber, carrot, capsicum, tomato, pickled cabbage, curried tofu. With a tahini-lemon dressing.
Spinach, tomato, capsicum, spicy corn & black beans and brown rice. Topped with baked tortilla chips, hummus and guacamole.
Mixed fresh greens, dulse flakes, white quinoa, capsicum, avocado, cucumber and tempeh & mushrooms cooked in tamari and garlic. Topped with sesame seeds.
Hope you enjoyed these recipes and take some inspiration from them to make your own bowls. Let me know of any 'bowl' combinations you may come up with!